I was watching The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe the other night, and while she wasn’t exactly a feminist icon, she was extremely ambitious.
It occurred to me she did what we now call ‘finding a sponsor and mentor’. It made her career: finding the right people (in her case, powerful men) to put her forward for roles and introduce her to the right people.
Most of the famous artists would not have been famous if they didn’t find patrons. They needed to find support and create networks to build their career.
This is one of the reasons why I have started my formal mentoring program. Moving from unknown to expert requires so much more than just talent or business acumen.
You need to build relationships with journalists, understand what makes a story idea newsworthy, know when and where to pitch the idea…the list goes on.
Here are five reasons you should think about getting mentor.
- Learning culture for your life – By seeking out mentors, you are seeking out opportunities for growth and development.
- Support and advice – Find people you trust and can catch up with to talk about issues and problem-solve. They can be your sounding board and support network.
- Formal mentoring – Assisting in goal setting and a clear career path. A clearer view of the future can lead to better performance and career success. It absolutely helps with accountability.
- Inspiration and perspective – Spending time with a mentor you admire can inspire you and give you the benefit of their experience.
- Expanding networks – Finding the right mentor opens doors, puts you in front of key people, and expands your networks.
Best way to find one?
- Seek out people who inspire you.
- Create networks of people who informally mentor you.
- Join a mentoring program –there are many groups and leaders that have a formal networking program. Find the right one for you.
For me, just helping someone is intrinsically rewarding. I love it when I can use my experience to help accelerate someone else's growth.
Get in touch if you want to truly transform and accelerate your personal brand and your business. We have a personalised 3 Month Accelerated PR and Media Coaching Program and Spotlight Mentoring/Coaching slots.
From Unknown To Expert
Tweetable: Why Marilyn Monroe got mentoring right. 5 reasons why you also need to. @CatrionaPollard http://bit.ly/1ihb0GE
Fast track your journey from unknown to a recognised expert and thought leader! Buy Catriona’s book From Unknown To Expert: How to use clever PR and social media to become a recognised expert. Accelerate your personal brand with the Unknown To Expert Acceleration Pack, packed with media lists, blogger lists, blog posts and media releases formats which have generated millions of dollars in coverage, more than 73 templates and so much more.